Wednesday 24 April 2013

Oblivion and Cass Art haul~

Hello!

It's been a while since I last updated. If you've been following UK weather, then you'll know that the last few days have been full of sunshine, which has made for a very happy me!

Today I left work early to go to Cass Art in Angel ~ they were having a 15% discount sale on everything in their store, including all of their already discounted stuff. A good friend of mine had raved about this store for a long time now, so I made sure to stock up on graphite, charcoal and coloured pencils.

Afterwards, we wandered about for a bit before coming to a Japanese restaurant called Tenshi. Having gone dry on sushi for a few weeks now, I knew I could not resist so we ordered a massive stack of very decently priced sushi and some skewers of grilled chicken. It's at this point that I usually order a main too, since sushi alone is not enough to fill me up on my current budget, but this time I had a mini brainwave and just ordered a bowl of rice, thinking - how have I only just figured this out?! T_T

Once we'd finished eating, we headed to the Vue which is just down the road - but far enough such that an "are we there yet?" was very much warranted - for an evening screening of Oblivion. My first thoughts were: oh, Tom Cruise, the crazy-scientologist-I-used-to-crush-on-back-in-the-day-before-I-realised-he-was-crazy, followed by WOW, cinematography! The visuals in this movie are absolutely breathtaking, and the orchestral music is very epic too. I really liked the sweeping camera-work, the wonderful shots of the planet, and all of the awesomely cool CGI tech.

I just wish the plot had been as strong as the visuals and had more substance. Don't get me wrong, the premise is pretty cool but I think the delivery could've been less of an info-dump and crafted in a less distracting way. There were quite a few things that did startle me i.e. plot hole - such as how the characters could function at such high altitudes without asphyxiating or freezing to death - there was one scene in particular that really got me - the obligatory strip scene.

I also thought that a lot of the intriguing concepts weren't developed enough or to my satisfaction, I really really wanted to know more about the sci-fi elements - can't say more for fear of spoilers - but I felt that that was the meat of the movie, and that was overlooked too much in favour of the personal journey approach. But oh well. I liked it nonetheless.

My friend said that he enjoyed the craftsmanship of The Host more so, and this is only surprising when I tell you that said friend is one hundred percent male...!

Anyways, it's getting late, so take care everyone~~

Yishi xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

★ Comments and follows make me happy~♥ ☆